MGCC Battle: The Photographer Battle Encounter! - Ongoing!

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: MGCC Battle: The Photographer Battle Encounter! - Ongoing!

Post  Rdishon on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 am

JksAccount wrote:
Admittedly, I probably could've told everybody what Affable Aura actually was, but didn't. It just didn't really feel in the spirit of things, for whatever reason.
And I appreciate that, but the point is that they could have all figured it out on their own just as easily.

JksAccount wrote:
Also, you rolled the monsters randomly? I just assumed you picked Mary-Annette because of the silliness her passive allows.

Totally random, yes (I did filter out monsters I felt were inherently broken and/or unplayable from the initial pool, but other than that it was just random numbers). I'm not gonna lie and say I was unhappy to see her turn up, though.

Rdishon

View user profile http://rdishon.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  065227n on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:19 pm

(Actually, do I really still need brackets when the RP is over by default?)

Rdishon wrote:First, Recover has a coold... wait... shit. It got edited out when I posted Hawke's entry into the battle, and I didn't notice. That one's on me. But Recover does have a cooldown, so it's actually 125 damage in one round that you need to deal (not that high an order). Hell, you all had a perfect opportunity to take out Hawke at one point (right after Blaine's Tremor hit. a little coordinated fire would have done it. I've checked the numbers) but no one took the shot.
I guess I have to take your word for it, but I assume that you intentionally used Recover early as a signal that this was something that needed to be taken care of? ...but she could have potentially reduced a lot more damage the first time before sending the ability on cooldown and it isn't the only threat the player team needs to take into account.

Second, Jks figured it out on the first turn (from the seeing way it interacted with Bless, combined with my confirmation that 'Affable Aura' is not its actual name, I assume). I didn't feel the need to elaborate any further at that point.

I guess JK figured it out but I have a strong feeling that no one else did and the uncertainity caused them a lot of hesitation - I know you expressed confusion at the turn of Mink/Rei-Ginsei just doing nothing but my gut feeling tells me they might have been somewhat worried about things turning worse if they acted carelessly.

Third, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I don't think trading in your only tank for another support character would have been a good idea.
It's definitely hard to calculate as to whether or not the outcome would be different if I had a different character and I do have to try to analyze it in a way that I didn't bring in "future" knowledge. Trying to analyze my own actions...

First Action: By Flirting, I force the Photographer to either use Work it or Smile. Since the former happened, we can consider an ally to be protected (unless Angela would have been targeted anyway, then I would have earned 50 CC for nothing)

Second Action: This was probably a wash for Flirt - I don't think the Photograph was in range of any target for fetish dealer, so Smile would probably have been the action that was taken.

3rd Action: My movement choice was a bit dumb because for some reason believed that Blaine had White Magic and was hoping for an Esuna effect, but I just ended up getting a double shot setup. Crossbow was a "by default" action due to reverse Flirt

4th Action: Mistake here - somehow I thought using the Crossbow fell under Darkness. I don't remember whether I was Immobilized but if not I could have backed off and shot the crossbow. Of course, that would require the other party members to coordinate or Recover would waste it.

I don't really think Flirt really had that much of an effect going by that.

If I had sent in Aki, I would probably have swapped in a Immobilize Resistance as the only change - I don't want the foresight of "I clearly should have packed a Hypno Gun if I knew there were gonna be adds" so we'll assume I still pick the Crossbow. I think I would probably have had more of a battlefield presence with Recover, Chaos Magic and Jump.

065227n

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rdishon on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:19 pm

065227n wrote:(Actually, do I really still need brackets when the RP is over by default?)

(No, not really  Wink )

065227n wrote:
I guess I have to take your word for it, but I assume that you intentionally used Recover early as a signal that this was something that needed to be taken care of? ...but she could have potentially reduced a lot more damage the first time before sending the ability on cooldown and it isn't the only threat the player team needs to take into account.

Actually, I waited too long before using it. After getting hit by Angela's crossbow, instead of using Recover, I waited for better dramatic timing. I didn't account for Blaine's Tremor spell though, and after that hit, a combination of crossbow attacks from Angela and Damon, plus a Darkside strike from Rei (to allow him to still slap Sein awake) or a pair of spell attacks from Mink would have brought Hawke down. As it happened though, none of you attacked her at all that round, so she just hid her relief and recovered herself.

065227n wrote:
I guess JK figured it out but I have a strong feeling that no one else did and the uncertainity caused them a lot of hesitation - I know you expressed confusion at the turn of Mink/Rei-Ginsei just doing nothing but my gut feeling tells me they might have been somewhat worried about things turning worse if they acted carelessly.

It as actually an issue of some confusion about how the Berserk/Intensify conditions work compared to how they are written, which keeps popping up, and which I keep forgetting to clarify in the variant rules.

065227n wrote:
It's definitely hard to calculate as to whether or not the outcome would be different if I had a different character and I do have to try to analyze it in a way that I didn't bring in "future" knowledge. Trying to analyze my own actions...

First Action: By Flirting, I force the Photographer to either use Work it or Smile. Since the former happened, we can consider an ally to be protected (unless Angela would have been targeted anyway, then I would have earned 50 CC for nothing)

Second Action: This was probably a wash for Flirt - I don't think the Photograph was in range of any target for fetish dealer, so Smile would probably have been the action that was taken.

3rd Action: My movement choice was a bit dumb because for some reason believed that Blaine had White Magic and was hoping for an Esuna effect, but I just ended up getting a double shot setup. Crossbow was a "by default" action due to reverse Flirt

4th Action: Mistake here - somehow I thought using the Crossbow fell under Darkness. I don't remember whether I was Immobilized but if not I could have backed off and shot the crossbow. Of course, that would require the other party members to coordinate or Recover would waste it.

I don't really think Flirt really had that much of an effect going by that.

If I had sent in Aki, I would probably have swapped in a Immobilize Resistance as the only change - I don't want the foresight of "I clearly should have packed a Hypno Gun if I knew there were gonna be adds" so we'll assume I still pick the Crossbow. I think I would probably have had more of a battlefield presence with Recover, Chaos Magic and Jump.

Allow me to offer a counter-argument:

It's easier to think about it in terms of 'win conditions'. The photographer's are either 'keep a heroine in a trance for a full round with Work It then hit her with Smile' or 'hit an unprotected hero with Fetish Dealer' (none of the heroes in play had enough willpower to take more than a single shot).

Angela can keep the second one from coming into play by focusing attention on herself while also making the first more predictable and (with her decoy passive) less immediately dangerous, but will still need to depend on her teammates' help to avoid conversion in the long run.

Aki might be able to make the second a little more difficult by moving people around and generally interfering with mobility, but that's about it. Recover doesn't really play into anything the photographer does, and Jump really only protects Aki herself.

Rdishon

View user profile http://rdishon.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  vesago_x on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:18 pm

065227n wrote:I know you expressed confusion at the turn of Mink/Rei-Ginsei just doing nothing but my gut feeling tells me they might have been somewhat worried about things turning worse if they acted carelessly.

I wish I could take credit for that, but I actually screwed up. I misinterpreted the effect of Berserk and thought I could not use any spells with Mink for its duration. Also, I had no idea how to get rid of it.

As for Rei-Ginsei, I completely forgot about the Struggle action and somehow missed it, even though I looked through the abilities list everytime before I took my turn. Sorry about that! Embarassed
vesago_x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightington on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:51 pm

Yeah... I feel like a few things didn't quite line up like they should on this encounter's balance... Sad

Tried to get in mode to describe Sein's fall, butjust... Can't manage it.

I feel like the Tools worked fairly nicely, though!

Nightington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4