Dealing with writers block.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dealing with writers block.

Post  creativerealms on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Man I have a bad case of writers block right now. On a good day I can say get a page or two of one of my stories done in an hour no problem. Recently I have been struggling to get a couple paragraphs done in an hour hour and a half. Also what I do write I'm not pleased with and I rewrite again and again.

My writing also seems to vary by story. Some stories are very easy for me to write, the words come naturally and I write pages in no time. Other times I have this story in my head but I just can't write it and i'm not pleased with what I do write.

I have four stories I am currently writing a contest story that I just can't seem to write I'm trying to finish by the end of the month. An unfinished novel I started last November (for November Novel Writers Month) that I still want to finish. The third part of my current story for our groups here (That one is easy to write) and fan fic (no MC no corruption sorry) that is incredibly easy to write.

Anyway yeah writers block. Man I hate it.
creativerealms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dealing with writers block.

Post  Rainday on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:15 am

Luckily I can't really suffer from this(do to my condition, constantly wondering mind), but I do get what your saying. The only advice I can offer is

A) Continue what you're doing, but stop being so hard on yourself
or
B) Take some time during a shower to think about it, or just take a little break and do something else, sometimes inspiration will just strike you.

Usually when I'm stuck on something I do B, and the answer will come to me while I lie in bed in the morning thinking it over, or in the shower, thinking about something else and then it just clicks together with what I'm working on. Reviewing source material can also help when available to give you additional avenues. It's mostly about taking the pressure off yourself, it may not be the best version, but it's your version. You may have slight regrets, but that's okay too and they usually don't matter in the big picture. Hope that helps some.
Rainday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RainbowSevenRainbow on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 am

I wish I could have the "normal" variety of Writer's Block, since kind of like Rainday, I have the problem of a constantly running mind and the curse/blessing of being inspired very easily. If it's a story that affects other stories I will write in the future, or if I just really like it and want to finish it, I tend to write through the block, then walk away later and come back if I feel like editing it, because I tend to edit something to death.

But if it's something I know I'll be working on until the end of time, I just walk away from it for a little while and come back to it after a walk or a shower or even after doing seemingly pointless chores.

Sometimes, it's best to write through it or take a step back for a little bit...before writing through it.
RainbowSevenRainbow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  creativerealms on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks. Since my problems when it comes to writing is story to story I will focus on the stories that are easier to write. Though I really want to get that contest story done. I may be thinking too much about it.

Oh the contest I'm talking about is one for mind control and transformation at the DA-entranced group. While I don't think I have much of a chance to win I figure I have a much better chance winning if I enter then if I don't enter. Though the idea I'm writing for was high on transformation and low on mind control which is why I think I'm having trouble writing it.
creativerealms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RainbowSevenRainbow on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 pm

creativerealms wrote:Oh the contest I'm talking about is one for mind control and transformation at the DA-entranced group. While I don't think I have much of a chance to win I figure I have a much better chance winning if I enter then if I don't enter. Though the idea I'm writing for was high on transformation and low on mind control which is why I think I'm having trouble writing it.

Oh, that contest! I don't know if I'll enter because I don't know if the transformation I had in mind will convey itself well in text.
RainbowSevenRainbow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  creativerealms on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Well I made it past the writers block and finished the contest story with a couple days to spare for editing. Boy does it need lots of editing.
creativerealms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainday on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:08 am

I started to write this in my venting post, but I feel it would be of more use here. It deals with more beginner like problems, but yeah, this needs to be said.

*ahem*

I know starting up a story can be a daunting task for most people, it was for me as well. That's why I advise you to start small. What do I mean by small? Well, I suppose something that would meet the minimum for VIP1 in word count(500 words, which reall is just a few paragraphs), maybe a part 1 of an idea that you head, or maybe just a short scene of your favorite villainess and heroine. Descriptions help draw out the length, so use things like www.thesaurus.com for help so you can find new and interesting words to help put what is in your mind down. As for tone, it doesn't have to have sex in it, just that sensual side of seduction combined with hypnosis, and you got it. Try to pace yourself too, otherwise you'll reach the climax too soon, and thus leave people wanting more in the end(for instance, don't let her fall instantly under unless you plan to have some fun with her). I'm assuming by this point you've read many other peoples stories, well, draw inspiration from them. Don't be afraid to do that, you may end up coming up with something new all together. Finally, edit it. Run through it at least two times, once to maybe add a flourish here or there and correct spelling and grammar errors, and a second time for just spelling and grammar(this helps me since I tend to forget to spell check new additions I made in the first run). Then send it to me( lurker3009@yahoo.com) or kalten77@yahoo.com over at the group and we'll be sure to provide you feedback.
Rainday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top