WTF is 8chan?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WTF is 8chan?

Post  DoubleEdged on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:14 pm

I'd heard some weird stuff was going on with 4chan's mods, and at the one point where people want to speak out the most (you know what it is, but that's not the topic at hand here), supposedly they're being censored/banned under false pretenses? Anyways, I've started to hear about an 8chan imageboard. Well, they type it out 8chan, but it's actually infinitychan or something. I took my first look in there. Aaand apparently the public can make their own sub-forums. There's already 2000+ boards on it... way too messy. You'll find all the sorts of boards you'd find on 4chan, and quite a few that tailored to be extremely specific. Individual series will end up having their own boards, if you can find them.
DoubleEdged

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: WTF is 8chan?

Post  shirokami on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:15 pm

4chan mods are getting trigger happy. Not sure if they're letting their personal bias seep into their work or if they're just paranoid. I've seen a report claiming a permaban from all boards for 'Replying to Fat Shaming'. Probably BS though. More credible is a ban for someone posting a persona thread on /v/ and getting hit for ban evasion.

Infinity chan's board count will probably die down in a few weeks though. If they're not both used AND moderated they get pruned.
shirokami

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainday on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:23 pm

LAWFUL NEUTRAL POST

Well, any discussion on GamerGate is being removed by Moot and mods because

"The decision to remove "GamerGate" threads has been poorly communicated, and that's my fault. Said threads are being deleted primarily because they violate our blanket "no personal information / raids / calls to invasion" rule. Spamming the reports system and creating multiple topics were also a factor, especially given /v/ is one of 4chan's fastest moving boards and has historically struggled with keeping topics limited to actual video games.

Regarding a perceived lack of free speech/censorship -- many seem to misinterpret my advocating for anonymous communication and highlighting that it allows people to share things they otherwise wouldn't be comfortable with on other platforms as "you can say and do anything on 4chan," which simply isn't the case. We've had rules and moderators since the site was founded *11 years ago*, and I've only reinforced this statement over the years, a la: https://archive.moe/q/thread/580080/#580135

To those who actually want to use /v/ to discuss vidya and not a movement that has outgrown 4chan (a la Project Chanology) -- apologies for the inconvenience."

So a lot of the GamerGate movement is migrating over there(though it still has the rules against doxxxing and raiding which was one of the reasons the discussion is banned on 4chan's /v/, the others being listed above).

8chan itself is
8chan is an anonymous image board that gives users permission to create and moderate their own board. The site contains over 1300 imageboards in its own and still expanding. In order for an imageboard to continue being hosted, it needs to get at least one post per 72 hours and the admin logs in once per week.

/Lawful Neutral Post

Hmm, it has a bit of speed to it, I can see that much going on in their /v/, as for finding something, it seems to be more of a getting lucky if there are as many image boards as it say. As for piratical uses, one could use it to discuss a random topic with people both in and outside the boards, and it could be possibly used to spread the fetish, though any NSFW art would have to be posted in a spoiler tag it appears.
Rainday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainday on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Huh, they have a list of the boards, even a hypno one though it's small.
https://8chan.co/hypno/

Even have a small topic for yuri hypno. Hmmm...
Rainday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightington on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:15 pm

It at least seems to be better thought-out than a lot of Not!4Chans. However, as GamerGate inevitably loses muster (and it will - these sorts of things nearly always do, and the closest to a solid effect from this is Escapist giving serious review to their own ethics policies), it will have a hard time keeping its establishing niche. It's a good question if it will develop any niche beyond that.

Nightington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum