Identity death

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Identity death

Post  madoka on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 am

This one has always been a favorite of mine, normally it involves a character turning another into a copy of another and is overwriten by them. So in a sense the personality and memories of the former person are gone and replaced by the one that imprinted themselves onto them.

One example in live action was the matrix series...through being turned into a Hugo Weaving copy...donotwant. Rather the idea of being turned into another womans copy has always appealed to me Examples being works such as this http://bbmbbf.deviantart.com/art/Ayanamification-156707056
http://majorkerina.deviantart.com/art/You-Are-Me-TG-171260814

An interesting factor is alot of the Barb-E transformations and similar works have elements of this theme, in some cases a little of the former person does remain, but the new personality asserts itself and takes over. The reason I like to refer to it as Identity death is mainly because the character's Identity dies, everything they are, there memories, persona, ego, experiences are all destroyed as they become someone else.

Still I find the whole theme fascinating, through I do wonder what draws some towards it.

madoka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Identity death

Post  Grungepunk on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:16 pm

For me, I think it's more of a finality thing as I personally enjoy complete and total transformations.
Grungepunk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RainbowSevenRainbow on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:13 am

Identity Death is one of those things that stays planted firmly in the realm of fantasy for me, and even then, I have to be in the right mood for it.
RainbowSevenRainbow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  madoka on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 am

Rubyfruit wrote:Identity Death is one of those things that stays planted firmly in the realm of fantasy for me, and even then, I have to be in the right mood for it.

Indeed, its not everyones cup of tea through small traces of the theme can be found in many underlaying works featuring corruption and mind control.
madoka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bellchan on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 am

Really it depends on the way it's performed for me. If it's a Sailor Moon style "AWAKEN YOUMA!!!" in which the priest transforms in to "I AM CHAMPION" boxing falcon man... then it doesn't do much for me.

Likewise having one personality outright erase another with no transition (think Houser/Quaid) then I don't really feel much either.

But if we get the dark costume switch, the new name, new attitude and the added bonus of people who are crying out for the original while the new persona is gleefully exclaiming they are no more (or I keep telling you, I'm *Evildarkgirl!*) then it all combines. But I like it as an added spice on top of the normal corruption stuff.

That said, I could see a brainwashing scene where a person is forcibly turned in to another person to be pretty enticing.
Bellchan

View user profile http://www.purple-tree-studios.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RainbowSevenRainbow on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:29 pm

madoka wrote:
Rubyfruit wrote:Identity Death is one of those things that stays planted firmly in the realm of fantasy for me, and even then, I have to be in the right mood for it.

Indeed, its not everyones cup of tea through small traces of the theme can be found in many underlaying works featuring corruption and mind control.

...Maybe it's because the straight personality erasure thing has never been my specific thing unless there are some very specific circumstances, like if the former, pre-mind-control identity was unpleasant and/or downright horrible. Maybe it's also why I don't like the more humiliation-y stuff unless the character having the stuff done to them "deserves" it in some way and it's more satisfying.
RainbowSevenRainbow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top